Things You're Doing Everyday That Are Slowly Killing You : Part 1

15:34 0 Comments


So I bumped into this article a couple of months ago and I promised myself I would post it, and here it is. Generally it is out of research that has revealed some of the everyday activities we do or don't do which are slowly decreasing our life span. They range from from some pretty obvious instructions to some hilarious facts you will never have imagined. I've tried putting a light touch to it coz I don't like being gloomy but please take this seriously, it could just allow you to see a triple digit age. Happy reading.


We all want to live longer, healthier lives but there are hidden dangers all around us. Here are just a few of the tons of things we do every day that can shorten your lifespan without you knowing it.

1. Sitting

Bad news for office workers. Even if you regularly exercise, long periods of inactivity are unhealthy. A study published in 2012 in the journal BMJ Open estimated that individuals who reduced excessive sitting to less than three hours a day could add two years to their life expectancy.

This is one of the worst discoveries I've ever made. Given the portion of my life I've been sitting down, I could very well have just forfeited 10 years of my life (moment of silence). To make matters worse I'm still in school and well the entire period of my internship will be spent sitting in an office and have I told you I have unlimited WiFi here? All in all sitting has always been a health killer and plain and simple, you have to get off your butt if you want to live longer. Besides sitting breeds laziness and laziness is a disease in itself! You may probably also have read somewhere "Sitting is the new smoking".

2. Sleeping too much

Sleeping too little is of course bad for your health (and makes you gain weight), but sleeping too much can be equally harmful. A review of sleep studies showed that people who slept more than nine hours a night were at a 41% higher risk for heart disease than those who slept seven to eight hours a night.

This wasn't good news either. Especially for my weekends and Monday mornings. I always love when health experts explain how much sleep is important, I be like, "They understand me!", but now as learnt , its not that good either and if you have read Proverbs chapter 6, you'll realise even the Bible doesn't like sleepers.

3. Staring at a screen

Research published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology suggests that spending more than four hours a day in front of a screen, like watching TV or surfing the Internet, can increase risk of heart attack and stroke by as much as 113%. Another study published in BMJ Open estimated that reducing screen time to less than two hours a day, individuals could add almost 1.4 years to their life expectancy.

This was the killer blow! If they only knew I usually spend half my day in front of the screen! (And so do most of you). I used to think this was only bad for the eyes but shock on me, 113% more risk of a heart attack nearly gave me a heart attack itself! I'm guessing I can sacrifice the 1.4 year possible increament for a bit more movietime every day but having a stroke is not something I want to bargain on. I'm sorry computer, its not me, its you. (I've already spent more than 2 hours piecing this article together, I'm afraid, very afraid). Go read a book or something.

This is the end of part one, check yourself and make changes to be on the healthier side of life. We could all use a couple more years in our lives. Part two coming soon.
Like, comment and share to friends and fam. Bye bye.

Unknown

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments:

Search This Blog